Undergraduate Advising Guide/FAQ
We have created this guide as a resource for our undergraduate students to assist them with commonly asked questions. Please browse the sections below to find answers, or you can also try the search below.
I. AdvisingANSC Advising policies - including major changes, minors, and requirements for special advising. Read more...
- Advising Policy
- Changing Your Major
- Additional Majors/Minors
- Special Advising/Academic Probation
- Exception to Policy
II. Course PlanningResources and information for formulating a course plan, including university policies and frequently asked questions. Read more...
- Four Year Plans and Course Requirements
- What if a student is having trouble constructing a 4-year (graduation) plan? What resources are available to help them?
- How do I know if I'm under CORE or Gen Ed?
- What is Advanced Studies CORE?
- I notice on the curriculum worksheet that BIOM301 and ANSC420 are listed in the AS CORE spaces. Are these required courses?
- Can ANSC420 count as both an Advanced Studies CORE and an Advanced Animal Science Elective?
- Repeating Courses
- Academic Honors
- How many credits can a student repeat?
- What is Academic Honors?
- What is the eligibility for Academic Honors Program?
- What are the requirements that need to be met in order to be considered for the Honors Program?
- How do I apply for Academic Honors?
- What are the privileges associated with receiving Academic Honors?
- Information for Seniors
- Online Resources
III. RegistrationComprehensive guide to registration – including identifying registration time and blocks, how to add and drop courses, waitlisting, and taking courses at another institution. Read more...
- Making/Adjusting Your Schedule
- UMD Registration/Blocks
- How many credits can a student register for per semester?
- How will a student know when their registration time is?
- What do the different registration blocks mean?
- What is the time period for students to drop/add courses without penalty?
- What if dropping a course would put a student below 12 credits?
- Non-UMD Registration
IV. Outside the ClassroomInternships and jobs – including how to receive academic credit for an internship. Read more...
V. FinancialNavigating available scholarships and financial aid. Read more...
- Student Account
- Financial Aid